mti 3.2.x

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

mti 3.2.x

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:58 am

Hi, this is the Maya exporter for Indigo 3.2.

Check my signature for updates.

Major ergonomy update.
  • UI 95% finished
    added Indigo section in the createNode tab
    reformed indigoShader, indigoSpectrum, indigoMedium, indigoText nodes. Other plugin nodes were removed.
    • possibly requires updating older scenes.
Installs as previously (see .txt).

Vastly untested on non QT interfaces. Requires Indigo 3.2.x.

MtI is currently more permissive than it should about shading connections, if Indigo is throwing an error see if another parameter type works better. In case of doubt let me know.

In the Indigo section, you will find:

indigoShader: monolithic Indigo shader for Maya

indigoMedium: for use with the diffuse transmitter (optional), specular and glossy transparent (mandatory for both) materials exclusively.

indigoSpectrum: primarily for emission, it can also be used for absorbtion and similar parameters. Most often :)

indigoText: Important: use the numpad return key to save your input, it's the only way atm !
expects ISL code when used as a texture, can be hacked into the indigoSpectrum tabulated values to save data as presets.

Known issue: the Indigo tab may not show if the createNode window is opened upon initializing mti.

I am putting an option on splitting the indigoShader into multiple material nodes, how much would you like that ?

More details upon request :)
Attachments
mti_3.2.0.zip
DEPRECATED
Please get the latest MtI from my signature.
(180.04 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
obsolete asset

CTZn

Re: mti 3.2.x

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:18 am

I did not suspect that I was using a newer UI procedure for the 'create node' bit, mti 3200 will not run on Maya 2010 and below apologies.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm

mti 3222 - hotfix - for Indigo 3.2+

Fixed for MOTIF versions of Maya.
  • below 2011
Added Mixed environment setting.
  • requires an emitting material as background, with the exr map as emission modulator
    therefore, removed latlong option
the "create node" sub-menu of the MtI menu is now tearable (all versions)

indigo editor:
finished indigoMedium UI

options:
changed mti_maxNumReject default from 1000 to 10000

export:
+ fixed eventual texture indices issues
+ fixed medium assigned to more than one material will not be detected further

+ Fixed many bugs. Please let me know if yours is still in there, that will help.

I'll be releasing some MtI scenes the next days for educational purposes.
Attachments
mti_3.2.2.2.zip
(182.01 KiB) Downloaded 1068 times
obsolete asset

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:17 am

CTZn wrote:+ Fixed many bugs. Please let me know if yours is still in there, that will help.
Umm, the point of a change list is so that you tell the users what's fixed, not vice versa ;)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 am

Point taken, this is a notice of changes.

In the other hand it is difficult to pretend to have fixed a bug that was never reported.

There are many aspects still open to refinement in MtI. It should be clear that I am expecting users to interact with the future of MtI and exporting with Maya to Indigo in general. I can not know all the workflows, I can not figure out all their difficulties not troubleshoot by my mind but I can teach them Indigo.

MtI has one purpose: to allow Maya users to use the power of Indigo. It is not looking handsome but it's here, and for what I know there is way enough for me to get a couples renders for all balance.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 am

lycium wrote:
CTZn wrote:+ Fixed many bugs. Please let me know if yours is still in there, that will help.
Umm, the point of a change list is so that you tell the users what's fixed, not vice versa ;)
Logging all actions now :P
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:00 am

Just a little log update.

I am fiddling with various points currently, the actual script update may last a bit. The points below were done:

+ fixed invalid blend parameters (transparency) issues

+ added "open" and "new" scene events management.
This was an earlier addition wich I removed inmediately because it was crashing Maya reportedly.
I think that I have fixed the crashing issue, let me know if doesn't work for you (it always did for me).

+ changed default emission layer for materials from 2 to 0.

+ added support for place2dTexture (translateFrame, repeat, offset)
! save for file nodes /*wich are never baked currently*/

+ changed "save IGI" default to 0.
IGI files are heavy and can now be saved from the Indigo GUI.

+ fixed displacement slot not showing for blended materials
those stacked into a layeredShader

+ fixed plausible crash on attempting to freeze an indigoText UI

+ fixed bug with displaced objects of a wrong scale
wich therefore were either not showing or occluding the scene, most likely.

+ fixed mti_Path UI

+ The editor in error report mode will retrieve the preeceding freezing state when aknowledged

+ indigoText content does not require anymore the user to press a key to be saved
at the cost of presets currently

+ export is now interruptable
obsolete asset

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am

Sounds like a great update! :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 am

Quite the usual buzz :)
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:20 am

Since I am at it I would like to apologize about my rant above (21 Nov), it is very clear to me that I would not use an undocumented software in the first place.

This was put in the works as well.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 am

I tried the versions 3.2 and it seems that there is a bug with materials because all the options of, for example, specular material doesn't appear in the indigo editor nor in the attribute editor.

I only tested the specular material witch only have the: transparent check box, use absorption layer check box and if so transmittance layer color chooser. Where is the refraction index or the dispersion? There should be more options that I can't remember that are not there.

Also there are some problems when opening old version scenes it says in the script editor:
file -f -options "v=0" -typ "mayaBinary" -o "PATH TO FILE";addRecentFile("PATH TO FILE", "mayaBinary");
requires "indigoPlugin.py" "Unknown";

I restarted maya after plug-in installation because that is required or there are more problems.

I just can't export the scene to render because it freezes the progress bar.
Did not tested more. Ill stick with version 3.x3c for now, that is working fine.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

Hi ior, thank you for the checkup.

The index of refraction attribute and related have moved into the indigoMedium node, wich is a color utility.

Surface and volume definitions are now independent. This separation of media and materials is allowing the user to create multiple materials sharing the same medium data. One example is a glass pane with one dirty face, the other bumped and the four remaining faces left clean.

One object, three materials sharing one medium.

How to:
  • in the specular material UI, click the mapping button for the "Medium" attribute.
  • in the createNode window popping, select an "indigoMedium" node.
    • NB: in Maya versions below 2011, the Indigo utilities are classified as Color Utilities. In 2011 and above, there should be a new Indigo section into the HyperGraph, regrouping the four nodes under two categories (Surface, Utilities).
The medium-specific UI should appear if the editor was active, and the same parameters will be also found into the material UI.
_

I took good notice about the plugin issue on install, it should be unloaded prior or a new Maya session might be necessary to initialise MtI properly.

You are due an update, bugfixing is always good to have. Here's an addendum to the previous leak:

+ fixed camera matching film gate is now properly interpreted.

+ instancer: added support for nParticles systems

+ fixed hidden instanced are not exported (files missing fix)

+ fixed nasty bug in blend that would declare a specular before its medium

+ fixed lens shift
- no it's not

+ The indigoText editor now retain its previous size

+ Added ability to graph from spectrum UI existing tabulated data as provided by an indigoText node
- currently for display purposes only, editing the graph will not modify the values back
- that UI is borked

+ experimental nurbs support (not satisfying currently, manual conversion to poly is still recommended)

Additionally I'm fiddling around performances concerns, just laying things out atm.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 pm

ior wrote: Also there are some problems when opening old version scenes it says in the script editor:
file -f -options "v=0" -typ "mayaBinary" -o "PATH TO FILE";addRecentFile("PATH TO FILE", "mayaBinary");
requires "indigoPlugin.py" "Unknown";

I restarted maya after plug-in installation because that is required or there are more problems.

I just can't export the scene to render because it freezes the progress bar.
Did not tested more. Ill stick with version 3.x3c for now, that is working fine.
To fix old scenes, go into the MtI menu, click "Access advanced settings" then delete the node wich result selected. Press an Indigo Shelf button and the scene will be updated with new settings.

Maya viewports may be found frozen after an unmanaged error during export, just call the editor once to release the lock. Knowing the error may help.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am

Hi CTZn.

Didn´t read yet your messages with attention but at first glance looks like we need some documentation.
I will try the new version of MtI following your instructions.

Edit:
Hey I tested your instructions in the two above posts and now it is working fine.
Keep up. cheers.

ior

Post by ior » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Found an annoying bug:
When set any key on an object on rotateY (that is what I tested) the object disappears from the render.
Please confirm this behavior and try to fix it (I'm stuck with the animation :( ).

Another thing.
When exporting the animation there should be an option to stop exporting, or else, if someone makes a mistake you need to kill maya.
For indigo renderer the result might be to power off the computer? Or there is an option to stop the animation and prevent indigo from popping up for each frame exported?

About splitting the indigoShader into multiple material nodes, that would be a nice option to have.

34 posts