Maya and poser import - white eyes problem

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
2000apacman

Maya and poser import - white eyes problem

Post by 2000apacman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Hello there.
I am not sure my problem is caused by Maya. Anyway, i explain : i import poser model into maya then i render it with indigo. As you may guess the result is great! Except for the eyes, they are totaly white. I may correct this in postprod but it would be better if the render is done with no touch.
Thank you in advance for answering.

CTZn

Re: Maya and poser import - white eyes problem

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Everything I know is in this forum; one post a month and a couple renders a year at the best am I bitter :) So thanks for posting !

Well either the material or the texture are unsupported idk. Perhaps something else... are Poser models free ? You could send me the eyes complete with shader (in a Maya file), I'll check out.

Also multiple UVs aren't supported atm, this shouldn't last too much.
obsolete asset

2000apacman

Post by 2000apacman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:09 am

Ok, i post my file here, i isolated the eyes. The texture was in the sourceimages folder so i put it with thee .md
Attachments
scenes.rar
(534.71 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi 2000apacman

Firstly I can not explain how I could have missed your post the past days (based on the post date), my excuses about the delay. I could swear it appeared just tonight ... edit: moderation of course, that shouldn't happen anymore after your second post on the forum.

Now about the eyes: what we see is in fact the outer shell (cornea) wich has an untextured material applied, phong16. A phong material in Indigo is always opaque, hence your result.

Here are the material based steps to follow in order to get the expected results:

phong14:
  • select objects with material, then either:
    • - delete the faces (prefered), or
      - apply a null material to them, using an indigoShader created prior the selection
    - without changing the selection, do Mesh > Fill Hole
    • this will prevent the rays from the cornea to run inside the eye
phong16: the obstructing material:
It should be a specular material; specular materials must be applied to closed volumes or the leaking rays will not contribute as expected.
  • - create an indigoShader, make it a specular material with ior 1.377, absorbtion black (0 0 0 = none).
    - select objects with phong16, apply the specular material.
    - without changing the selection, do Mesh > Fill Hole
Other (textured) materials can be left unchanged, save the ior to 1.33.

I'll be frank, geometries should be edited further to get better results (to sew the iris to the inner sphere were the phong14 faces have been removed).

I'm also noticing that the eyes are only 10% of their real dimensions, either scale the model up 10 more times or set the Grid Unit Length to 0.1 (instead of 0.01 by default). The poser unit seems to be the meter while Maya unit is cm, scale ratio is 100 in total. This is important, either what the rays may be terminated for being of a negligeable length. Still, the resulting space between the two surfaces of one eye will be too short, that's troublesome.
obsolete asset

2000apacman

Post by 2000apacman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Many thanks.
I'll try to do what you explained. I'll send here feedback.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1