MtI 2.x beta 2

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Re: MtI 2.x beta 2

Post by CTZn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 am

Just overwrote the archive with an enhanced bump UI for the Indigo Editor. Please delete the cached file if you already downloaded 2.8e.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 pm

*scratched irrelevant post*
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:33 pm

As in previous version of MtI if I make an hollow object and make an hole in it I have to triangulate the object in order to the hole appear in rendered object.

Can you fix this?

By the way, what type of geometry can be exported to indigo by MtI? (besides polygon objects)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:33 pm

ior wrote:As in previous version of MtI if I make an hollow object and make an hole in it I have to triangulate the object in order to the hole appear in rendered object.

Can you fix this?
As soon as I have spotted the bug, yes. Since this didn't happen to me please send me a Maya scene file producing the error with MtI initialised, or a PIGS file including obj files. Or explain your workflow again please, it's not clear to me.

ior wrote:By the way, what type of geometry can be exported to indigo by MtI? (besides polygon objects)
Nothing else than polygons. Nurbs and subdivisions surfaces must be converted to polygons (you can keep history).

Oh, there is the sphere primitive wich you can invoque with a nurbsSphere if it's makeNurbsSphere is connected. If that's the case then the nurbs sphere topology will be ignored, including non-uniform scale and Indigo should render a perfect sphere. It can not be displaced.

I think that converting arbitrary surfaces to meshes at export time may induce memory issues depending on multiple factors, it's best under the user's direct control.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 am

Here are the files in pigs an mb format triangulated and non triangulated:
Holes don't render.rar
Maya 2011 scene files and pigs files
(742.96 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
And here are the renders:
Holes don't render.jpg
Holes don't render triangulated.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:00 am

Thanks for the debugging material, that's clarifying things a lot.

The only thing I can do is to have MtI check and eventually cleanup the geometry for you (concanves faces or faces with holes, like in Mesh > Cleanup...). That's modifying the user scene or at least inducing potentially heavy processes at export time (and the bigger the mesh, the more probable to find "dirty" geometry).

The objExport plugin do not understand faces with holes, try to export selection on the room then import back to evaluate the mesh quality (that's the actual issue). Just modeling further with such a mesh is painfull, at least with Maya (can't start splitting on a hole and such). An application like SketchUp (hint) would triangulate (add topology) silently while Maya just preserves the user input. I'd like to keep it so, what do you think ?

You want to cleanup your mesh by any mean, MtI is bound to the objExport plugin for now. Then, there may also be an issue with concave faces and Indigo, I'm not sure since MtI is the only exporter using obj files (I think).
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:00 am

CTZn wrote:Maya just preserves the user input. I'd like to keep it so, what do you think ?
I think that you can add an object and a scene option to cleanup -> fix by tesselation -> faces with more than 4 sides. I thik that in this case you wouldn't have a problem with concave surfaces (guess, I realty don't understand the problem with concave meshes). And this cleanup would be made to a single object or the hole scene just before exporting.

Another bug:

when you group some objects and modify the size, rotation or position of the group it will loss the information of the object position etc. making odd results. every time i group some objects I have to remove them from the group in order to have the objects in the right place.
This is very annoying and it should be a first priority bug fix.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 am

ior wrote:
CTZn wrote:Maya just preserves the user input. I'd like to keep it so, what do you think ?
I think that you can add an object and a scene option to cleanup -> fix by tesselation -> faces with more than 4 sides. I thik that in this case you wouldn't have a problem with concave surfaces (guess, I realty don't understand the problem with concave meshes). And this cleanup would be made to a single object or the hole scene just before exporting.
Ok. You should know at this point that I am personally lobbying for ngons support in Indigo. Concave faces are a special set of ngons (trickier, but then faces with holes are an even trickier subset), Maya renderers and the obj format do deal nicely with them.

Is what you say: have one per-mesh attribute to fix ngons, plus one global attribute to ignore it eventually ? Seems the way to go for me.
ior wrote:Another bug:

when you group some objects and modify the size, rotation or position of the group it will loss the information of the object position etc. making odd results. every time i group some objects I have to remove them from the group in order to have the objects in the right place.
This is very annoying and it should be a first priority bug fix.
It is a known bug, and actually the top rated one. I know what's wrong, I can formulate simply what I need to fix it but I can't figure the way yet.

We will enter the MtI 2.9 beta serie and that bug must be fixed on for the 3.0 serie. Note though that its extent was somehow reduced recently, I had a good insight on the matter.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:00 am

CTZn wrote: Is what you say: have one per-mesh attribute to fix ngons, plus one global attribute to ignore it eventually ? Seems the way to go for me.
I think that should be added an option also to apply to all meshes, besides the ignore one, and the per-mesh attribute.

Thanks.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56 am

yup, power to the user.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 am

I'll be offline for one week or so, the answer machine is on though ;)

The 2.9 serie will be launched early in February.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm

I am new to maya texturing, but I tried to put some textures on materials and it gave back results with errors and problems.

I tested with grid and file texture.

With file, you cannot do anything with the place 2d texture node or file node, no mater what parameters you change the result is always the same, even the invert color does not invert anything.

With grid, the parameters give results that do not match the sample image seen on the node in hypershade.

Basically I cannot produce results with this errors.

Am I doing something wrong?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:46 am

Hi there

ior, MtI currently uses file nodes only as pointers to the texture location on disk. What you are asking for is a baking of file nodes. Though legitimate, this request may force the file node to be managed as a procedural texture to be baked and this means that even the output resolution may have to be explicitly specified. I will check about that.

In order to invert the colors from the file you will currently have to connect it's output to either (but not limited to) a reverse node, or a ramp with a single entry having the invert option checked.

Regarding the grid texture it's a Maya bug:
create a grid, right-click on it to "Test Texture" and see.

The workaround is to set its Filter Offset to a non-null value, 0.001 doing fine.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 am

I am currently looking after a fix for a limitation of the objExport plugin wich seems unable to export transforms being grouped and instanced at the same time (like in instanced groups). I think it may be a bug within the shipped plugin.

The fix might be IGMESH support for MtI. IGMESH is the mesh description format specific to Indigo, and it's introduction alone will require a consequent learning time and rewriting effort from me.

At the end this should be totally transparent to the user, but meanwhile updates will be much sparser than planned with the 2.9 serie.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 am

By the way, how do I see textures of displacement maps in uv texture editor?

I can see bump because the node is connected between the texture and material nodes, but the displacement node gets connected to SG node and texture do not appear on uv texture editor, witch seems the only way to apply file textures to meshes, is it?

138 posts