MtI Maya 2010 on Mac ?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
JBKING

MtI Maya 2010 on Mac ?

Post by JBKING » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 pm

I am new to MtI so I am sorry for this really basic question but I cant Install the Plugin.
The installation guide is for PC so I dont know where I have to copy what files.
Could anybody tell me ?
I have Maya 2010.
Thanks!

CTZn

Re: MtI Maya 2010 on Mac ?

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:59 am

hi JBKING,

this important question was always eluded until you asked and I'm now starting to have a good clue on the how. I could give you raw folder names where to copy files but I'm about to release a new mti version, with less files and less bugs.

You should then find instructions in the zip archive. Your feedback as a mac user will be welcome then, as your may experience more troubles than Windows users at first. I have no mac at hand, sorry !

It's a matter of days before the release :)
obsolete asset

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:39 am

It's a matter of days before the release :)
Those are good news for us Maya users :)

Soup

Post by Soup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:04 am

CTZn wrote: You should then find instructions in the zip archive. Your feedback as a mac user will be welcome then, as your may experience more troubles than Windows users at first. I have no mac at hand, sorry !
Maybe I could see if we could put maya on the Mac mini in the office...

Also, looking forward to the release! 8)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:01 pm

This might help $oup, but there's also the possibility to ask Maya for the actual paths it uses. I'll look into sort of an install script today, an assistant for installation at the least.
obsolete asset

JBKING

Post by JBKING » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 am

That sounds great! looking forward to the release :D
But it would be very nice if you could give me some foldernames so I could try out the current mti as long as the new release come out :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks for your patience JBKING, MtI 2.x beta 1 is incoming :)

First off, read and follow the Installation section of the revised quick start text file. The installer should be platform independent.

To be honest I don't expect MtI to work flawlessly on non-Windows systems, but with feedback and more patience we'll be there !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 am

Ok, that's a surprise :)

On Windows, the Indigo shelf will not be put ahead but it will be added down the shelf tabs. Do you mean that it is not listed in the shelf tabs ?

In this case, I doubt that Maya will be able to locate it. Let's try to see. In the Script Editor or Command Line, enter the following:

Code: Select all

shelf_Indigo;
If you get an error message instead of the shelf showing up there's still hope as the very MtI script files should have been copied to another location; enter:

mti_CHK_self; mti_EDI;
That's the code for the first Indigo shelf button. If it works here is the export command:

mti_CHK_self; mti_Gen;
If nothing of this is working, we'll have to explore the paths Maya returned to the installer. The way it queries Maya are the following:

shelf:

internalVar -userShelfDir
scripts and .py:

print (`internalVar -userAppDir`+"scripts")
icons:

internalVar -userBitmapsDir
attrPresets

print(`internalVar -userPresetsDir`+"/attrPresets")
Hope this helps. I mean, please comunicate results for the commands above, PM me if you want. Meanwhile I'm writing that debug script, just in case.
obsolete asset

JBKING

Post by JBKING » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:32 am

Thank you very much for this. the top part didnt work but I had manually installed the plugin step by step copied the files. That worked very well but I cant set the location of the indigo render application. applications on mac are folders with an .app extension so its impossible to select the indigo.app. you go in tothe folder if you click open. could you write an script or tell me the path to the file I have to change ? So I could change it manually.

//Edit: is it possible to export animations ? I dont see any settings in the plugin .

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 am

JBKING wrote:Thank you very much for this. the top part didnt work but I had manually installed the plugin step by step copied the files. That worked very well but I cant set the location of the indigo render application. applications on mac are folders with an .app extension so its impossible to select the indigo.app. you go in tothe folder if you click open. could you write an script or tell me the path to the file I have to change ? So I could change it manually.
Please try:

string $indigoPath = "the-path-you-need-into-quotes";
optionVar -sv indigoRendererPath $indigoPath;
JBKING wrote://Edit: is it possible to export animations ? I dont see any settings in the plugin .
Ah well the option is not exposed yet coz I wanted to change the way. It won't last.

Let me know how the code above helps, or what gives.
obsolete asset

JBKING

Post by JBKING » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks for this! :D The export works well but is it right that the render does not start automatically ?
And where can the exported file be located ? I dont find it.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 am

The IGS file should be in your current Maya project directory, File > Project > Edit to see its actual path. Namely:

workspace -q -rd;
I presume that the render not starting is another Mac issue. Make sure that the "render" switch is on in the Exporter settings tab, it's possible to play with it then forget about....

Mac specific issues may be fixed progressively, until I've got one myself. Meanwhile I'll provide as much support as possible.
obsolete asset

JBKING

Post by JBKING » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Hmm no there is no indigo file. but there is an untitled indigo file in the folder before the project folder ? But there is not anything to render in it. its a clean white ground....
Do you maybe know why ? :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:59 pm

You mean that the command

workspace -q -rd
returns the folder above your current project directory ?
why ?
Because I'm ignoring the subtleties of OSX, and of ~nix OSes in general. Because Maya seems to be hosted slightly differently than I expected on Mac. Because you didn't return the commands results to me :)

I'll follow $oup's suggestion as these points can be adressed internally. edit: Request sent !
obsolete asset

JBKING

Post by JBKING » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 am

You mean that the command
Code:
workspace -q -rd

returns the folder above your current project directory ?
Yes!

hmm I opened another scene and it works perfectly :D
untitled.png
There were some warnings while the export ran but it works. Thanks !
Is the beta 2 Mac ready ? :D

/* Edit: Oh you cant use .igm Materials. There is an error which says that the material isn't defined in line 117. Can this be fixed ?

17 posts