Indigo 2.2.2 Beta with new material editor

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Indigo 2.2.2 Beta with new material editor

Post by pixie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55 am

In media I would go for the inverse color. I think that's a bit hard to think : I want that kind of orange transparent glass therefore I will tweak this much amount of blue absortion.

There's something that might be a bit more tunned, one thing I dislike is having to actually delete before i can write any number, i also cannot make use of the point present in my numpad since it only accept virgules, and finally it doesn't remember the path of the textures so that I have to dwell all over for those. If you change the material type it trash all the previous settings.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:38 pm

pixie wrote:If you change the material type it trash all the previous settings.
Yeah...that's a major annoyance for me too.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Heya !

Yes psor, you are refering to man-hours work when talkin about hiring some extra cap I guess, but you know that we have one good horse and it's good to spare it also.

Were you yourself eating uranium raw or you found some way to pump through the non-universe ??? ;D

Being good points exposed, your stance was alarmist in my opinion, but well you were answered already :)
Ok, the amethyst zip is probably invalid.
Huho, what amethyst ? How old is it ?
OnoSendai wrote:
ZomB wrote:I also miss the A parameter for textures... B and C is present... but A is lost... also no Texture Exponent to find anywhere!
I hid a and exponent, becuase I don't think the vast majority of users need to use them. Do you disagree?
Well if they can take the ugly GUI for now let's disagree with hiding parameters... j/k! my position is that they are usable for some specific techniques, and also that reducing Indigo abilities into a tighter set is still good if it is not necessarily a closed set.

Simply, I didn't had an occasion to see what the A parameter was doing, and isn't there is something about alpha (nts: I meant gamma) and realism ? Tonemapping yes, but also being able to render a more peachy texture without the extra 2d processing steps (loadinto2deditor-tweak-save-woops(thats me)-(load) tweakagain save), kind of valuable.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
Jambert wrote:would be nice to select folder where material is uploaded

thx
Hi Jambert, do you mean that you would like to be able to pick the filename that the material is uploaded as?
yes, pick filename and choose path/folder where to save it

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:54 pm

First of all thanks for this detailed answer Ono, I appreciate this!

OnoSendai wrote:
ZomB wrote:I still think creating materials is more intuitive in cindigo but well...
In what way? If you can list specific points I would be happy to work on them.
The Point here is, that being a 3D application user that works with it quite some time, you're used to the material system and the way stuff works and looks like!

Cindigo simply uses this material system for its own proposes, so you directly feel "home" when creating Indigo materials... a quick preview is also possible by pressing a button, a ISL code Shader works well too. BIG BANG BENEFIT here is the usability of baking C4D Shaders (that you know for years and can tweak very well!) to texture to use them in Indigo...

Since Cindigo workflow is so organic and fluid to a C4D user its simply makes no sense to use a external Application for material generation... this is NOT NEEDED...

Herer is the big Point guys... if material creation is awesome realized in the 3D application no material editor is needed!

Psor talkes about how hard this is to manage to change stuff for all X exporters... m8, I simply don't care how much this work sucks!!! Playing the commercial game this argument is obsolete. The "Need" for a material Editor is based on 2 things:

1: not optimal usable Exporters in Case of Material Handling
2: Listening to some n00bisch whiny requests of 14 years old in the Forum about Material Editors instead of focusing on Professional workflow & users!!!!!!

A Material Editor is simply a big Candy for the community to let them forget and apologize about bad Exporters! This safes money and work for the company, but the workflow for the user gets more complex and complicated. Me and others simply don't want to learn how to use more software, keep it smart and simple!

At the moment the Connection to the MatDB is the biggest benefit for the Material Editor, but this is something that can and should be implemented into the Exporters.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:58 pm

ZomB wrote:At the moment the Connection to the MatDB is the biggest benefit for the Material Editor, but this is something that can and should be implemented into the Exporters.
fused is doing so atm, isn't he?!

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 am

ZomB wrote:Since Cindigo workflow is so organic and fluid to a C4D user its simply makes no sense to use a external Application for material generation... this is NOT NEEDED...
I couldn't agree less, cindigo owns material system has it's own flaws, which to me start by the time taken to actually see the result, while not directly a cindigo flaw it's a flaw nonetheless. With indigo material editor I can interact with the material in a way that I cannot in cindigo, and can from the experience gathered in trough the cindigo own material editor.

If I'm tweaking the amount of exponent, SSS, etc... in a given material I can do it almost real-time in Indigo Material Editor (IME), in cindigo I don't even bother with the hassle. I'll give you that IME might not be the day to day tool I'll use to create materials, I'll keep on relying on past experience and use cindigo owns editor most of the times but IME surely is a great learning tool and pretty much desired, at least from my perspective.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:00 am

pixie wrote:If I'm tweaking the amount of exponent, SSS, etc... in a given material I can do it almost real-time in Indigo Material Editor (IME), in cindigo I don't even bother with the hassle.
I don't get your point here, in Cindigo its as simple... change settings and hit the preview button, same as IME!
Where is the ultra awesomeness of IME that roxx here so hard??? Startup time of saving and showing the preview can be tweaked in future versions!
And even if there is some killer feature that I simply don't get from your post, I'm sure its realizable in a exporter too!
Last edited by Zom-B on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:01 am

PureSpider wrote:
ZomB wrote:At the moment the Connection to the MatDB is the biggest benefit for the Material Editor, but this is something that can and should be implemented into the Exporters.
fused is doing so atm, isn't he?!
lets say I'm gathering information on how to do so :)

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:08 am

ZomB wrote:
pixie wrote:If I'm tweaking the amount of exponent, SSS, etc... in a given material I can do it almost real-time in Indigo Material Editor (IME), in cindigo I don't even bother with the hassle.
I don't get your point here, in Cindigo its as simple... change settings and hit the preview button, same as IME!
Where is the ultra awesomeness of IME that roxx here so hard??? Startup time of saving and showing the preview can be tweaked in future versions!
And even if there is some killer feature that I simply don't get from your post, I'm sure its realizable in a exporter too!
IME is faster, I happen to like speed... ;) As far as cindigo speed goes, I don't know if it can be tweaked as far as IME unless the indigo sdk is somehow to be used.
Last edited by pixie on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:10 am

go nag Maxon for using Quicktime for png loading...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:07 am

pixie wrote:IME is faster, I happen to like speed... ;)
Why don't you tell this before m8 :)

I really can live without a preview image after 1 second, since looking at a very noisy image isn't my idea of a (usable) preview. But you are right speed is good, I like it too... simply by raising the saving interval for preview rendering in cindigo IME looses this killer feature... I hope you get my point!

Why investing a lot and lot of man hoers into something that should already be obsolete by the work of the exporter writers...

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:08 am

ZomB wrote:
pixie wrote:IME is faster, I happen to like speed... ;)
Why don't you tell this before m8 :)

I really can live without a preview image after 1 second, since looking at a very noisy image isn't my idea of a (usable) preview. But you are right speed is good, I like it too... simply by raising the saving interval for preview rendering in cindigo IME looses this killer feature... I hope you get my point!

Why investing a lot and lot of man hoers into something that should already be obsolete by the work of the exporter writers...
I now have a core i7 =)

Phoenix
Indigo 100

Post by Phoenix » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:48 pm

fused wrote:go nag Maxon for using Quicktime for png loading...
But not any longer.

As far as I know, since the new R11.5 it's native!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:55 pm

ZomB wrote:
The Point here is, that being a 3D application user that works with it quite some time, you're used to the material system and the way stuff works and looks like!
Ah, I see. the C4d mat editor is more useful to you because it's integrated in C4d and is part of your existing workflow. Correct?

The Indigo Material Editor is not supposed to be a replacement for the exporter material editors. I guess it could be considered as a temporary solution for some tasks that are not yet handled in exporter material editors.

It's also useful as a reference solution for exporter material editors. (although possibly in some cases it's not as easy to use or advanced as the current exporter editors)

For example, right now, it gives all Indigo users, regardless of 3d package, the capability to download, modify, upload, and otherwise easily use materials from the material database.

62 posts