New Official Indigo Material Database is in private Beta!

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 23, 2008 9:46 am

zsouthboy wrote:Hey boss, is the indigo webserver gonna be able to handle the bandwidth strain? :)

Or are we requiring the textures to be hosted elsewhere?

The Maxwell Mat DB hosts up to a certain size and then you can link to fullsize textures, how is it going to work for us?
I'll monitor the bandwidth usage, and if it's too high, then I'll consider some changes.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 23, 2008 9:53 am

BbB wrote:PureSpider
Well, call me lazy (which I certainly am) but it would be nice to have a button somewhere that does it for you. Indigo already has a "pack scene" option. Why not a "pack materials" option. What do you say Ono? Seriously, I think the incentive to upload mats would be higher if making them were simpler.
Hi BbB,
I will definitely add a 'pack indigo material' option to Indigo. In analogy with the pack scene option, it will take an .igm file, and place the igm file and all referenced textures into a zip file with extension .pigm.
You will be able to execute this pack material function either using the Indigo GUI or the indigo console executable.

I'll also add a --unpack option to Indigo, so it can unpack .pigs and .pigm files. (this is just unzipping them)

In this way, exporter writers should be able to write the code to save and load .igm and .pigm files, using the Indigo pack and unpack functions as utility functions.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 am

Hi drBouvierLeduc,
If you could send me the new mat preview scene with linear tonemapping, that would be great.

nickamy@paradise.net.nz

Also, can you add a little bit of room at the top of the preview for displacement materials, so they don't stick out of the frame?

BbB

Post by BbB » Fri May 23, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks a lot Ono. Sounds very good.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 am

And don't forget the wrong normals on the bubbles (if they are still there), drBouvierLeduc ;)

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am

also, last time i checked your "subsurface scattering bar" was mispelled. give it a quick double-check before uploading final package.
:)

palawat

Post by palawat » Fri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm

speech less !!! .... totally speech less.

so excited about what's going on here.

thank you very much, guys.
Cheers,

Q9550 2.83 GHz, Geforce 9400 GT, 4 GB ram, XP 32/Vista 64

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat May 24, 2008 12:14 am

fused wrote:i think ill upload them as .obj files so exporter writers can make a scene in their format.
looks like i have completly overgone drBouvierLeduc... sorry about that :)

edit: just deleted all test materials without fitting igm file.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat May 24, 2008 3:09 pm

What is being done about nkdata igms and custom nkdata igms?

I always thought the nkdata file was supposed to be included in the IGM or PIGM. Or, can only the nkdata files included with Indigo be valid for use with IGM files?

One more question: I think the database should validate the IGM file when you upload it. That was a great feature of dougal2's material database.

For the record, I thought dougal2's database was outstanding! I hope he has some input into the now 'official' version.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat May 24, 2008 3:19 pm

OnoSendai wrote: Hi BbB,
I will definitely add a 'pack indigo material' option to Indigo. In analogy with the pack scene option, it will take an .igm file, and place the igm file and all referenced textures into a zip file with extension .pigm.
You will be able to execute this pack material function either using the Indigo GUI or the indigo console executable.

I'll also add a --unpack option to Indigo, so it can unpack .pigs and .pigm files. (this is just unzipping them)

In this way, exporter writers should be able to write the code to save and load .igm and .pigm files, using the Indigo pack and unpack functions as utility functions.
This is great Ono, but we really need the option to <include> PIGM files in the IGS file. Then, Indigo could extract the files at runtime.

Maybe something like this:

Code: Select all

<material>
<name>thename</name>
<pigm>PATH_TO_PIGM</pigm>
</material>

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Whaat wrote:One more question: I think the database should validate the IGM file when you upload it. That was a great feature of dougal2's material database.
yeah, thats right. the database will validate the igm file. purespider wrote a function for that. the criteria are(for now), that the igm contains a scenedata element, at least one material and all these materials have to be indigo materials (phong, diffuse, etc.).

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun May 25, 2008 12:45 am

I'll refine the function even further as soon as I read the manual again.
After that the func will check for a valid material type and if that material type has the required parameters (<RGB> and so on) given.

€dit: Ok I'm on it... Leaving out the optional parameters but the required ones need to be given!
Should I even check if the required ones are in the correct range?
€dit 2: @fused: I think we definitely need an "Rendered to *** spp" information for the materials!

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:37 am

PureSpider
You should look at the source for my DB site (posted in the other forum). I did all sorts of validation in that.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun May 25, 2008 1:45 am

Done so but I did it way more simple as your class has functions (and output) we don't need anyway.
I just did some xml parsing and checked if the needed keys exist or not and this works great for now.

filippo

Post by filippo » Mon May 26, 2008 7:34 pm

fantastic... :D
2x Xeon quad core ghz 2.66(8 core)+4g ram+quadro fx
2 x Xeon Quad 5540 (16 core)+16GB ram+ Nvidia GTX 295 1800mb

54 posts