Indigo Renderer 4.6.4 Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Re: Indigo Renderer 4.6.4 Release

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:32 pm

This is a controversial topic in many respects. I've supported Indigo and used it commercially to run my arch-viz studio and then later architectural practice since 2011/2012. Indigo's quality, ease of use is second to none. Every person that has seen an image I've produced asks - which renderer did you use? And they don't ask this as a conversation piece, it is literally because it doesn't look like "CGI" in the traditional sense that you'd expect from the old guard ie Vray; Indigo has its own unique look once you master it. I've always recommended Indigo to those who ask (and in the past, I've convinced architectural practices to buy licenses for Indigo).

Regarding tutorials - I mean, what tutorials does Indigo really need - it is very straightforward to use, and there is a user manual is easy enough to follow. I don't buy for one second that because there were no tutorials is the reason why Indigo's awareness is not as big as it should be. The beauty of Indigo is literally that you can press render and let it do its work. This is not Vray where you have to toggle hundreds of parameters for a half decent renderer.

However (and this is the most important issue in my opinion) where Indigo development has more or less - let's be frank - irritated me as a paid user who's renewed their license from version 3 to version 4 (plus the aforementioned referrals) - is the slow to non-existent support for modelling software. I've been vocal about it long enough, but 3dsMax has been left frankly to die a slow death - the IndigoMax plugin doesn't have near enough features of the old Maxigo plugin, which even had a basic scatterer which worked very well, and also supported Vray converted scenes out of the box.

Regardless whether it is Sketchup, Cinema4D, Blender, 3dsMax - without adequate third party modeller support, Indigo's attraction will fade. I've had a look at other renderers such as Corona or vray, but for me the only renderer that works in the way I want and workflow is Indigo, but we need better third party plugin support. There are a ton of plugins for 3dsMax such as Forest Pack or Multiscatter that either don't work properly with Indigo or just don't work at all.

Luckily, the latest version I'm on works well enough, but additional features that will bring Indigo to par with those other renderers are much needed. Whether Glare have decided that other ventures are better is irrelevant to me - if you commit to software development then there needs to be a clear roadmap as to where things are going. I've been following this thread for a while and to me it seems we're being left in the dark.

From a loyal user.

Happy New Year and hope to see better development for Indigo in 2023.

wob

Post by wob » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:25 am

Alamy wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:39 am
Agreed, but Thea render is the black horse for sketchup till now, Indigo needs two things to have many users, the compatability with the critical plugins like Skatter and Laubwerk, and to have interactive rendering inside the app and also the Material editor for indigo plugin needs some improvements and to fix some bugs occured from time to time.

Thea cant produce stable animation - incorrect flickering lighting. indigo criticaly lacks the scatter editor (outside its xml scene file), hair and fur support, decals in corona / unreal style, procedural materials.

video tutorials are very useful for novice users but not so important

Zalevskiy
3D Software: Blender

Post by Zalevskiy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:05 pm

the concept of video tutorials implies that ... on the example of Greyscalegorilla - the user buys ($) a video tutorial for a small amount (the dealer gradually puts the consumer on the product), if he likes it, he buys (+$) a collection of materials + hdri / ready-made lighting settings (+$)

that is, any artist / designer who has bought an octane subscription can add their tutorials after purchase, rendering sets, thereby recouping their license costs.

In indigo, on the other hand (according to my subjective observations), there is a different approach, such an ... 'academic' approach that the user buys once for life, but understands it himself (it can take years, development is very long and slow, available only to the most stubborn) and people with money ($) don't have time, they need results here and now.

it's not for us to judge, it's their choice :) probably a commercial approach to business will draw developers into complete attachment / dependence on the product, and then they will have to devote all their free time to this (which carries risks)

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Lal-O » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:47 am

Finally!News from Indigo's Team! You don't know how happy i am 🙂.

I'm reading that there are lots of bugs in this new version but, you know what? I don't care...all that issues can be fixed, the main point here is that Indigo is still going on ❤️

Alamy

Post by Alamy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:54 am

Lal-O wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:47 am
Finally!News from Indigo's Team! You don't know how happy i am 🙂.

I'm reading that there are lots of bugs in this new version but, you know what? I don't care...all that issues can be fixed, the main point here is that Indigo is still going on ❤️
Hello ... Ono Just released a new update that fix these issues, you can find it in the 4.6.7 release ... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=309755

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:43 am

I agree with a number of the things @tar_gnicK has posted.

However, I do not agree that tutorials are not needed. Nowadays the purpose of a tutorial is not only the instruction, but also marketing. Often self-marketing of the presenter, but also marketing for the software product used in the tutorial.

In general I find it not particularly useful to discuss why Indigo is where it is. I wish for it to have a future and would love to discuss that with the developers. If more money is needed to fund continued development then that can be discussed. Alas, they appear to have no interest in a conversation whatsoever.

For me Indigo is an incredible tool. I have yet to find another tool that works with my preferred Modeling tool Blender, that does the things I do with Indigo. I've created a separate post/the with a few images.

51 posts