Indigo 0.9 test 7

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Heavily Tessellated

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:51 am

... and there's a few big bugs in it too (look at some of BF or CCJs' posts), give him time to re-fix what he previously fixed.

@ BF: Well using /PAE and the AWE toolkit are different than just the /3GB, as far as I know there's no perf hit using 3GB, it just increases allocation that can be assigned to a single proc (32-bit linux is the same, 1G for kernel 2G for userspace). No, the performance hit is for massive things, enterprise scale database and exchange servers mostly, and it's still 10000x faster than having your 20G table page to disk. Dual/tri/quad boot is the way for us render monkeys to go for now, "Just switch" implies booting into your 64-bit install; it's not a completely functioning desktop solution yet, don't replace your 32-bit install or you'll cuss a lot. But it is the way we're headed, and just like IPv6, it doesn't matter how much we like or dislike it. It's still coming. Upgrade upgrade upgrade. (plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.)

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:21 pm

HOLY SH*T
My render is going about 3 and a bit times faster which is great because this computer is real old and slow. Well it isn't the exact same scene because I didn't duplicate my model and its not on a plane but its going real fast. I will do a test to make sure its not just my scene...
Edit: :oops: Oh ok I seem to have exagerrated a bit. The scene really does change the render time a lot :roll: But yeah t7 is going at about 180% speed of whichever other indigo version I was last using which is almost double omg! :shock:

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 pm

lol that must be v0.1 :lol:

it's about 30% faster than test 6 on the average, still very good!

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:29 am

nah I just looked and its test 2 :D

64 posts